Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.2 or later.
Release Date: 2012-05-22
Storm Shield is a life-saving app that acts like a NOAA Emergency Weather Radio on your iPhone. You will receive critical alerts via voice and push notification regarding life-threatening weather events. Your iPhone will “wake up” with alerts wherever you are.
Storm Shield is made possible by the Scripps network of local television stations and newspapers. If you live in a Scripps local market, your app will be customized with additional news and local information to keep you ahead of the storm and safe in extreme weather. Use your partner code (if provided), or search for your city or zip code, to activate enhanced local weather information in Scripps local markets.
- More Precise Alerts: Storm Shield provides more accurate alerts than those offered by typical consumer alerting services. Most of these services will alert you to severe weather if you are in a county only partially covered by a watch or warning, even if you are not actually directly within the watch/warning. Storm Shield ensures you receive an alert only if your device or saved locations fall inside a watch/warning box. That means you aren’t disturbed by alarms not relevant to your location. You also have complete control over what types of alerts you receive through your app. For example, select only tornado warnings or just winter weather warnings.
- Follow Me: Follow me is a critical feature if you are on the go. This app will alert you if you are in an area when a relevant watch or warning is issued, no matter where you are in the United States.
- Friends and Family: Storm Shield can also save up to FIVE fixed locations in addition to your current position. This means you can make sure friends and family at home, at work, at school, out of state, at a ballgame, etc., stay safe when extreme weather threatens them.
- Battery Management: Storm Shield uses iOS Location Services to strike a balance between location accuracy and battery usage. Background tracking will have some effect on overall battery life. You can control how much accuracy you want the application to use for your location and thus impact the battery management. You may turn off background tracking for battery conservation in the app settings. In this mode, Storm Shield will use the GPS only when the app is open.
- Audio: Storm Shield provides audio alerts in the form of beeps followed by a brief description of the alert type. The audio could wake you in the middle of the night, or give you information you need when you can’t stop to look at the phone. Furthermore, you can listen to the alerts and forecasts for your area at any time.
Visit our support page for FAQs and questions.